Monday, July 12, 2010

Welcome to A Little Slice!

I'm excited to be creating this blog so that I can record and share what it is that makes up 'me'.  I have loved reading many blogs in the blogging world--they have inspired me, uplifted me, and helped me to identify my own feelings and emotions. I hope to now add my little slice... 

I was thinking one night about all the different roles I play in life. I've always thought of them as "hats" I wear. I pictured myself interchanging them throughout the day: Mommy Hat when I called the school attendance line to excuse sick kids; Baker Hat as I got a cake in the oven for my next client; Entreprenuer Hat as I called the client to establish a pick up time for thier cake that wouldn't put me in too much of a panic; Nurse Hat to bandage up the playground cut on the child that suddenly isn't so sick; Party Planner Hat as I made a schedule for the outlandish birthday party I had planned for that weekend; Youth Leader Hat as I put spectacular craft kits together for the girls to do at our next meeting; Maid Hat as I cleaned up the dishes and bathroom and dishes and laundry and bedroom and laundry and...; Sister Hat as I greeted my extended family at the door as they came for a swim; Babysitter Hat as I watched my sister turn right around and leave all the little ones with me; Chef Hat as I quickly put together the best snack ever for 10 little kids and threw the chicken in the microwave to hopefully defrost in time for dinner; Referee Hat when the kids fought over the swing because they just had to swing to be able to dry off from the pool; Author Hat as I made up a story to tell the kids during quiet time; Waitress Hat as I reloaded plate after plate of food at dinner all before I could even get one bite in; Personal Assisstant Hat as I bathed kids, brushed teeth, and found clean PJ's for bed; Singer Hat as I sang lullabies in the hallway so the kids in all three bedrooms could hear me; Escape Artist Hat as I snuck out of the house undetected--leaving dad in charge of the sleeping household; and then the Friend Hat as I walked into Applebee's for a much needed Girl's Night Out! And that is just SOME of the hats I had...

But then it dawned on me--I don't take hats on and off! Many of those things I did all at the same time. Each of those hats defined me in some way--a small piece of me. Those roles are slices of me that when all put together, make up the whole of who I am. So, I'm not a hat wearer anymore. Now I like to think of my life as a pie. Besides my obvious obsession with delectable baked goods, this seems fitting. Each slice represents a different role I have in life and all together they form a delicious pie. Everything I do effects who I am and who I will become in the future. I don't take those roles off as I begin a new one--I just focus on few slices of me at a time.

From hat wearer to a beautiful pie, this is a little slice...

1 comment:

  1. I am very excited you created a new slice in your ever expanding pie of roles that you are. You have so much to offer. I am glad that we now get to see what you can put down in writting for us all to enjoy. I love you Dear!

    Love,
    Your Honey

    ReplyDelete