Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grandma's Birthday

You know how they always tell you that you'll miss the hand prints on the walls and mirrors someday when those kids are grown and gone? Well I wanted to preserve that for my Mom and give her a gift that the grandkids could make! Her table is a large square table and it's very difficult to find tablecloths--we have to special order them, so we came up with this idea.


I sewed together 2 long white tablecloths and used a decorative flower stitch down the center. Then we started with the hand prints. Each child had a color and because I have this thing about organized chaos, each child put their hand print in 4 places--once in each quadrant of the tablecloth.


The gooshy paint on the hands was by far the best part for these guys. They got to paint their bodies and they didn't even get in trouble!


Next the kids made a list of all the traits Grandma has. Some of my favorites are: Young (she laughed at that), beautiful, a queen, awesome. The kids came up with these all by themselves. Then I just used fabric puffy paints and wrote along the bottom edge of each of the 4 sides "Grandma is..."  Then in between the hand prints I wrote the words from the list they made.

Grandma and the Grandkids
(we were just missing one)


The tablecloth is simple but something she can treasure and laugh about for a long time!

1 comment: